There are so many benefits for kids to be out and about today. For Lane Cove Scouts, there are many reasons why we encourage boys and girls to enter our groups. From cubs to scouts – all the way through to venturers and leadership positions, they are empowered by a sense of Achievement, Belonging and Community.
Our top five reasons are:
- All levels of scouting encourage learning through doing and offer a wide range of constructive and challenging activities channeling children’s imagination and sense of adventure.
- We don’t wrap kids in cotton wool! They’ll get wetter, hotter, colder, muddier and dirtier than they’ll get at home or in school. Scouts learn to push their limits and help their friends, in a controlled and risk-managed environment
- Your child will learn outdoor skills and become more independent and responsible as they progress. The award scheme encourages participation at own rate and provides recognition of individual achievements
- Practical leadership and responsibility skills are encouraged such as planning and preparing for camps or expeditions, navigation and map reading skills, bushwalking, boating, climbing, abseiling, caving and other age-appropriate adventurous activities
- Scouts can expand your child’s horizons through making friends from another country, with opportunities to participate in student exchange programs, aid programs, and national or international gatherings.